Cookies are small files created when you visit a site and contain a unique, anonymous number. They are stored in the cookie directory of your hard drive and may not expire at the end of your session.
Cookies can be used in numerous ways. Our uses are as follows
This website is operated by the charity OneZoom. We will protect and keep confidential information collected from you as a result of use of this website.
Personal data that we collect from you and where it’s collected from
Internet Protocol address and session information
We log users’ Internet Protocol addresses (IP address, a technical standard which allows data to be transmitted between two devices), which are automatically recognised by the webserver (which delivers web pages to a computer, in response to requests from a browser), and session information such as the duration of the visit and the type of browser used.
Any data that you send to us by e-mail
Data entered by you into our sponsorship form that is required before the form can be submitted
- Your requested sponsorship text (this consists of the contents of ‘sponsorship text’ and ‘extra text’ as well as whether the sponsorship is ‘by’ you or ‘for’ someone else).
- The species you associated this text with.
- Whether or not you agreed to gift aid your donation (UK taxpayers only, the default is state is not agreeing to gift aid).
- Whether you wish to be acknowledged on the donations page as well as on the tree (the default is to be acknowledged in both places).
Data entered by you into our sponsorship form that is optional
- The image you chose to associate with the sponsored leaf.
- Your title and full name (compulsory if you agreed to gift aid).
- The twitter name you entered into the form.
- Your e-mail address.
- Your preferences regarding receiving e-mails from us (the default state is not to receive e-mails apart from those directly relating to your donation and sponsorship).
- Any extra donation amount you opted to give beyond the minimum donation necessary for the leaf.
- Any extra message you wrote to us in the sponsor leaf form.
Data stored by us alongside your sponsorship when you submit the sponsorship form
- The date and time the reservation was made.
- A random reference code allocated to you when you first visited the page - you will see this number as your ‘reservation code’ in correspondence.
- The default language of your internet browser.
- The minimum expected donation for sponsorship of this leaf.
- The duration of the sponsorship (usually 4 years).
- The name of a OneZoom collaborator if you sponsored through them, and the proportion of the sponsorship money going to them.
Data collected by us from PayPal if you proceed to make a donation for leaf sponsorship
- A unique transaction code generated by PayPal.
- The e-mail address associated with your PayPal account.
- The name associated with your PayPal account.
- The town and country part of the address associated with your PayPal account.
- The date and time of sale.
- The amount you actually paid.
- Your full address (we record this only if you agreed to gift aid your donation).
Note that details of your bank accounts and bank cards used through PayPal are never revealed to OneZoom. Please refer to your user agreement with PayPal for further information.
Data stored by us alongside your sponsorship data during the process of verifying your sponsorship and making it live
- The agreed sponsorship text (this would be different from your requested sponsorship text in cases where we discuss a change to the text with you).
- The date and time your text was verified and your sponsored leaf was publicly viewable.
- Internal comments made by us associated with admin of your sponsorship.
- Whether the sponsored leaf is active or not.
Data stored by us from users of the OneZoom popularity index by private API key
- The number of calls made to the API using this API key.
- The number of taxa requested per API call (there may be multiple taxa per call).
- The number of returned data points (there may be several for all taxa, for example if a key is used to request the popularity of the top 20 mammals).
Where your personal data is stored
All personal data (except that sent by e-mail to us) is stored on our webservers in London and their associated backups.
All data sent to us by e-mail is stored by Google and duplicated on personal mail programs of trusted members of our team.
How personal data is used and shared with others
If required by law
We may disclose some or all of the information collected from you if required to do so by law or other legally binding obligation.
On sponsored leaves and our donor page
- Your sponsorship text, or an edited version of it, may be publicly visible on our tree of life and related resources, on our donor page, and on other similar resources connected with OneZoom.
- The minimum donation amount required to sponsor each leaf is public knowledge. It may therefore be possible for others to infer the approximate amount you have donated to OneZoom by looking at your sponsorships.
- Should the text you entered be deemed inappropriate and we are unable to contact you, we will use the first and last name you have provided to us, as well as your country as sponsorship text on your leaf of the tree.
- By keeping the “credit me on the OneZoom donor page” box checked during sponsorship, your full name and title (which may be different from your sponsorship text) may be publicly visible on our donor page. You may appear here in a category based on the size of your donation.
Twitter and e-mail
- Your twitter name will be used to tweet a public note of thanks to you when your sponsored leaf goes live on the tree.
- Your e-mail(s) will be used to initially thank you for your sponsorship, provide you with links to your sponsored leaf, and for any communication related directly to your sponsorship.
- If you agreed by ticking the box, we will also use your e-mail to send you occasional updates about OneZoom.
If you agreed to gift aid, your full name, title and address will be used by us to reclaim tax on your donation from the UK government.
Some sponsorships also include a donation to one of our partner organisations, which is highlighted clearly on the sponsorship form you filled in in. In such cases, if you agree to gift aid and the collaborative organisation is based in the UK and qualifies to receive payments through gift aid, then we will share your full name, title and address with the collaborative organisation, who will only be entitled to use that information for the purposes of gift aid reclaim.
Quotes and endorsements
We keep a record of quotes and endorsements for OneZoom. If you have e-mailed us text that we wish to use for this purpose we will write to request your permission separately. Quotes and endorsements once agreed become visible to the public and should be considered under a creative commons attribution license.
Internet Protocol address and session information
This information is only used for system administration of the website and to compile statistics which we use to review use of the website.
Your rights regarding your personal data stored by us
- You can request a copy of any of your personal data held by us.
- You can request corrections to any of your personal data held by us. We agree honour these requests, however, changes to your sponsorship text must still be deemed appropriate for public viewing according to our terms of leaf sponsorship.
- You can retract your gift aid statement, or request corrections to the data associated with that.
- You can request deletion of all your personal data, or any part of it. If you request deletion of your sponsorship data then your name will no longer appear on the tree as a sponsor, or on our donor page, and the leaf you sponsored will become available for sponsorship again.
- If you sponsored a leaf for another person, and they request their name to be removed from the leaf, we will do so. You will then have the opportunity to choose an alternative sponsorship text for your leaf.
- Data that has been deleted from primary use may still persist in backups.
- You can request to alter your subscription to receiving e-mail updates from us (note that the default state is to be unsubscribed).
- We will still e-mail unsubscribed users if something arises specific to their sponsorship, for example if their sponsorship is about to expire. To receive opt out of even these e-mails please write to request removal of your e-mail address from our database altogether. Note that this will mean you will no receive any notifications about your sponsored leaves and they will eventually expire unless you take the initiative to get back in contact with us.
- We will not pass your e-mail address on to any third parties.
- To make requests relating to your personal data, you must e-mail us using an e-mail address we have on file as being associated with your data, provide us with a unique reference number associated with your sponsorship, or use some other reasonable method to prove your identity so that we know it’s definitely you.
- We cannot guarantee the confidentiality of any messages transmitted between you and us via e-mail as these are potentially accessible by the public. We will not be liable to you or anyone else for any loss in connection with any email message sent by you to us or by us to you.